Tuesday, September 17, 2024

Vishwakarma Puja, 1st Sem, MBA 2007

 

Some memories have a way of embedding themselves so deeply into our minds that they become almost indelible. One such memory from my early days in university is the Vishwakarma Puja celebrated in our department during the first semester of our MBA programme in 2007.

We were just beginning our journey as MBA students, still navigating the maze of university life. The day before Vishwakarma Puja was a Sunday, and in the Hostel, we were all abuzz with questions: Would classes be held as usual or would there be a celebration for the occasion? According to our seniors, we would have regular classes and the Puja festivities would be confined to the engineering blocks.

In that slow Sunday evening, I received a call from a batchmate in the neighbouring hostel. He informed me that one of the seniors needed to see me immediately. When I arrived at the senior's room, I was told that Vishwakarma Puja would be celebrated in our department and I had been selected to perform the Puja. A friend of mine would be assigned as my assistant to help with the ceremony.

I was taken aback by this unexpected responsibility. "How can I do that?" I asked, expressing my concern about my complete lack of experience with Puja rituals. The senior handed me Xeroxed pages of Vishwakarma Puja mantras and said, "These are the mantras you'll need to recite tomorrow" (I found out later that he had gone to the home of a Priest, took the Mantra book from him and got it xeroxed). Despite this, I remained uneasy about the task. He then mentioned that we had permission to hold the Puja during the first half of the day, with regular classes resuming in the second half. However, if we extended the Puja beyond the allotted time, we could enjoy a full day off from classes. The prospect of a free day suddenly made the idea much more appealing.

Returning to my room with the pages of mantras, I began to study them and felt confident that I could manage the recitations. However, I struggled with a few verses that resembled poems and had no clue how to sing them. Fortunately, one of my friends reached out to his mother, who sang the verses over the phone. Her guidance helped me grasp the correct tune, allowing me to practice effectively.

The next day, I prepared myself for the Puja. Although we were scheduled to start around 9:30 AM, I decided to arrive late, hoping that this would delay the start and subsequently extend the duration of the Puja, thus ensuring we would have no classes.

I showed up about an hour late to the department. The Puja was set to take place in the computer lab, where a small area had been prepared for the ceremony. Everything was in place, but I had no clue how to begin or proceed with the ritual. Thankfully, a friend stepped in and guided me through the process, explaining how to use the various items and what needed to be done. Without her assistance, I would have been at a complete loss that day!

Finally, I began the Puja, feeling a mixture of nervousness and determination. The faculty members were seated attentively behind me, while a supportive circle of friends and seniors gathered around, their eyes fixed on the small, makeshift altar in the computer lab. I took a deep breath and started chanting the mantras, following the sequence and gestures that my friend had meticulously demonstrated to me.

As I continued, the rhythm of the mantras began to flow, but soon I noticed that the pages were nearing their end. It dawned on me that the Puja, which I had hoped to stretch throughout the morning, might come to a premature conclusion. Faced with this realization, I needed a strategy to prolong the ceremony.

I began to creatively repeat the mantras, cycling through them by taking lines from different stanzas and rearranging them in a continuous loop. This improvisation was meant to extend the Puja as much as possible, giving us the chance to enjoy our day off from classes. My heart raced as I chanted, hoping that my repetitive strategy went unnoticed. I kept a focused demeanour, all the while wondering if anyone would detect the pattern in my recitations.

Eventually, the Puja came to an end, though I can’t recall exactly how long it lasted. After the ceremony, one of the faculty members complimented me on my recitation of the mantras, and another faculty member - who would soon become the Head of Department - praised my performance as excellent. The positive feedback was immensely gratifying.

Both the senior and junior batches had worked hard to organize the Puja, and it was rewarding to see it come together successfully. The satisfaction of knowing that the faculty were pleased with our efforts was a great boost.

The following day, one of our faculty members mentioned that she had attended Puja ceremonies in other departments but considered ours to be the best. This was a significant compliment for all of us involved. Yet, amid all the praise, the most memorable aspect remained the simple fact that we enjoyed a day free from classes!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Vishwakarma Puja, 1st Sem, MBA 2007

  Some memories have a way of embedding themselves so deeply into our minds that they become almost indelible. One such memory from my early...